Tuesday 29 March 2011

I HURT MY BABY!

My guitar got damaged this weekend.

For five years I kept her spotless, in perfect looking and working condition. Now I’ll only have a perfectly working acoustic.

I picked the guitar up off my lap, in the way I normally do, which is grab it by the neck and lift. And for some reason, the guitar spun in my hand and the body crashed into the floor with a resounding crunch.

I thought my heart would stop.

Thankfully, the damage isn’t that bad, and largely cosmetic. The sexy veneer that covers the bare wood is cracked and chipped off on the spot where it collided, and a tiny crack between two pieces of the body has appeared, but it’s so small you cannot even see through it. Most importantly, the guitar sounds the same.

It’s interesting, the way people react to that sort of thing. Some guys say you wear a guitar scar proudly – it adds character to the instrument. Others say it’s like cutting a piece of your own heart out.

I’m in the second camp (although maybe not as extreme, but you get the idea). That’s why I own 2 drumkits. One is my carefully looked after tool of the trade, and I pretty much prevent anybody from playing it. Ever.

The other is a second hand intermediate kit that goes to all the gigs where I won’t risk my main kit, or wherever other drummers are gonna play my drums. I’m not bothered if this kit gets a knock or whatever, but if something happened to my other one I am certain I would feel gutted.

Which is silly, if you think about it. What are the chances of keeping a set of seven drums spotless forever? Especially when you’re using them constantly?

Anyway, the week ahead is looking promising. K, Ray & the Bird are finalizing mixing on Friday night, and then the album is ready for mastering and printing. Yay!

I am also busy looking into the ins and outs of building a very simple home studio, and I am hoping to get into it soon. With all the great technology these days, you can get a simple setup going for minimal expenses. I’ll talk more about this later on.

And schools are wrapping up their first term, which means holidays approach.

I’m feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment