Thursday 17 March 2011

AND SO IT STARTS...

13 March 2011

It’s worthwhile wondering why I would decide to write a BLOG. I mean, you’re always gonna wonder if anybody actually reads it, or even cares. There’s also that sense that you are putting a piece of yourself out there to be read by pretty much anybody, so how honest/open do you make it?

And just how important do you think you are anyway, thinking people want to read what you get up to?

I think the guys who really commit to writing a BLOG – those guys who upload daily updates like an online personal diary – I think they really show a lot of courage and determination to remain so faithful to their project. I always worry that I would forget one post, or just not have any desire to upload the next post. And I’m talking once a week here. Daily posts are simply out of the question. I’m not interesting enough.

So I decided to use this space as a place to talk about the other side of being a musician – everything that goes on around gigs, rehearsals, sessions, lessons…all the weird and wonderful things most guys tend to keep quiet about. I’m not going to say you’ll find it fantastically exciting, but I hope it is entertaining.

So what can I say today? Well, perhaps it would serve as a good opener if I explained what I actually do.

And from the very start I will say being a muso in Cape Town isn’t easy. This isn’t New York, where scores of clubs and pubs line the streets literally waiting for musicians to waltz in, entertain the masses, and leave with enough money to get home. Gigs are few and far between in the Mother City, unless you’re extremely well known or extremely well respected. Both reputations are difficult to achieve and take considerably time, so for those who have not achieved super-muso status there’s teaching.

I spend five days a week teaching. Drums, guitar, and a little recorder for the toddlers in junior primary. Teaching isn’t for everybody. You need an exceptional amount of patience not to crack at some point and shove a drumstick up some young kid’s bottom. I believe I’m a pretty controlled guy, but even I feel tested sometimes.

I do play for one band as a full-time member – a five-piece outfit called K, Ray & the Bird. The music is as strange as the band name, and that’s why I love it! If I had to describe the sound I would say a bit of Dave Matthews Band, with jazzy and R&B influences, as well as some orchestral size. Not exactly radio-friendly, but certainly fun to play.

We just recorded an album – the 2nd one to be released by the band – and are in the process of editing and mixing the songs. In the next few BLOG’s I am going to share more information about this process, but let me say my eyes have been opened to some unbelievable work done by a few anonymous people to make your CD’s sound really good. It’s been a challenging but rewarding process.

I also just got involved with a corporate band. For those who don’t know, corporate bands play covers at corporate events, parties, dances, or anywhere else where they will pay us. Some hard work will be needed to get it off the ground – we need to learn at least 80 songs, and constantly add new hits to our repertoire. But it’s exciting, and the guys in the band are really awesome and really talented.

So now you know what I do and what I’ll be talking about with this BLOG. I am not going to pledge any commitment to regular updates, because I don’t believe I will abide by it. I will therefore add a new post whenever I feel like it. You are thus forced to check regularly for updates, or wait for a link on Facebook.

So. My mission this week is to practice my guitar scales, and practice single strokes in front of a mirror to see how my two hands differ in playing style.

Exciting stuff.

2 comments: